Friday, November 11, 2011

Peanuts vs. Prince Valiant


The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Satrapi, M. (2007). The complete persepolis . New York City:
     Pantheon Books.




When I couldn’t find The Complete Persepolis under Graphic Novels, I went on a treasure hunt and was surprised to find it under Biographies.  But once I read it, I could easily see why Marjane Satrapi’s book could fit appropriately in either category.  To write one’s autobiography in comic-strip form struck me as being both charmingly innocent and wonderfully imaginative.

I initially wondered why the simple drawings were done in black-and-white instead of in colors, but as I progressed, I found this artistic format more appropriate for the stark events she shares from her life growing up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution.  She uses wit, wisdom and complete candor to share with us how the normal trials of adolescence compared and contrasted with the very abnormal strife in her homeland.

One thing I did not figure out was why she put some of her dialogue in comic book-style bubbles like Peanuts while some of it was in small paragraphs above or below a picture, like the Prince Valiant comic strip.  This duel method of writing didn’t bother me; it just puzzled me.  But overall, it was an excellent book.  I can understand why it has been an international best seller.       



Google Images: deepdiscount.com

No comments:

Post a Comment