Monday, October 31, 2011

Here We Go Again

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson



Patterson, J. (2009). Witch and wizard. New York:
Little, Brown and Company.


I’ve been a fan of James Patterson for years, including his Maximum Ride series of books for young readers.  By the time I finished Witch and Wizard, I saw so many similarities to the Maximum Ride series that I found myself wondering if there was really that much that was new under Paterson’s creative sun.  In both cases, the books are futuristic fantasy.  Wisteria and Whitford Allgood have magical powers, as do the children of the Flock in Maximum Ride.  Consequently, government authorities hunt for the children, forcing them all to flee and hide out, which makes up the major backdrop for much of the books.

I did enjoy Witch and Wizard.  However, it’s aforementioned parallels to the Maximum Ride series as well as its similarities to other such futuristic stories like Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games left me wishing for something completely new.  If one is writing a fantasy, is that too much to hope for?

Google Imabes: jamespatterson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment